Re: [O] odt export to google-docs problem

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] odt export to google-docs problem
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:21:53 +0530

Suvayu/Rustom

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Jambunathan,
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:06, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Can anyone else reproduce this?
>
> I can replicate this. The odt file exported by org-odt is not accepted
> by google docs even though libreoffice opens it without problems.
> However it I open it with libreoffice and say edit and save, google
> docs then accepts the new file.

With my some experimentation, I am able to reproduce it now. I have this
in my .emacs.

,----
| (setq org-export-odt-prettify-xml t)
`----

and it was preventing me to "see" the problem in the first place.

The above variable is a custom variable and when it is true, the
exporter runs indent-region on all xml files that is part of the final
odt file. The default setting of this variable if off, btw, (as
otherwise it could slow things down for large exported files.)

Since I often have to examine the xml, I have this variable on.

This setting helps exporting to google directly i.e., I don't have to
edit and resave the file for succesful loading, as Suvayu is suggesting.

Indentation only makes whitespace changes and it shouldn't affect how
XML files are read in. So, I am unable to explain why Google accepts the
indented XML file and not the original one.

Anyways turn that variable on and let me know what you see.

ps: It seems like there is a bug on Google side of things. Since it only
says the file is corrupt and not what the *actual* corruption is I am
out of my wits. So basically I am shooting in the dark ...

Thanks for helping out here. May be as time progresses an understanding
will emerge.