Re: [O] Use prefix arg 0 to inhibit note taking for TODO change

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Use prefix arg 0 to inhibit note taking for TODO change
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:05:50 +0100

On 18.11.2011, at 10:29, Sebastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> You committed:
>
>> Use prefix arg 0 to inhibit note taking for TODO change
>>
>> * lisp/org.el (org-todo): Interpret 0 prefix arg as note inhibitor.
>>
>> Sometimes I want to quickly make a few TODOs done in the agenda and I
>> want to bypass the note taking I have normally set up.  With this
>> change, I can press `0 t d' in the agenda to do this.
>
> But isn't "dangerous" to use the `0' for that, as it is used, with other
> effects, as a speed command.

As a speed command, you would use C-u 0 t d.  In the agenda,
numbers are special, they set the prefix argument.  One could do the same
in speed commands, of cause.

> I know that `0' does not work as of today in the agenda view, but I think
> speeds commands (I mean: one-letter shortcuts) should work in both places
> (that is, in the agenda, and in column 0 of Org headlines), and quite a lot
> already are shared (`I' for clocking, `t' for changing states, etc.).
>
> Wouldn't we want to try to make those two sets equal?
>
> Best regards,
>  Seb
>
> PS- It's true that we can see inconsistencies, as of today, between some
> one-letter keys in the agenda and the speed commands. An example that comes to
> mind is:
>
> - `;' is used to set tags in *speed commands*
> - `:' is used to set tags in *agenda* (and `;' is used for starting the time)

I think you are right here - it is not good that these are different.
Numerical prefix commands are different a bit, but maybe you are
even right there.

- Carsten