[O] Org as a publishing framework, where to start?

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [O] Org as a publishing framework, where to start?
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:09:22 -0600

Hi everyone,

I'd love to use orgmode as my publishing framework for ebooks (mainly PDF). I'd like some flexibility on defining the output. The thought of having to use OpenOffice / Office or even Adobe Indesign to write text is daunting to me. It might work for small reports, but for longer works, I'd rather write it in plain text, and org just makes things easier.

I don't know where to start though. I don't have much time, and I'd like to design a nice beautiful layout for the book. Where should I start looking? What combos work best ? (org + LaTeX, etc) Is there any place I could get some ready beautiful LaTeX layouts to study from that could be used from org?

Sorry about the ignorance, I might even be using the wrong terms here, the issue is that there's way too much information spread around, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Marcelo.