Re: [O] [feature request] Org as an Excerpt Database (or Multivalue Prop

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [O] [feature request] Org as an Excerpt Database (or Multivalue Properties)
Date: 11 Dec 2011 17:21:27 +0100

Hi Christian and Herbert

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> I've successfully used the regular expression searches Herbert Sitz
> describes to search and query a small (~ 500 kB) Org database of all
> my source materials (text clippings) for a project, where some of the
> properties I used had multiple values.
>
> You will find Matt Lundin's Advanced searching tutorial invaluable:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.html
>
> Org has some basic support for multivalue properties, mainly for
> editing (getting, putting, adding, removing) and also a membership
> test. See the manual:
>
> [[info:org#Using%20the%20property%20API]]
>
> Note that unlike your example setup, the values are not comma-separated.
>
> The multivalue support does not, as far as I remember, extend to match
> expressions for searches etc. This would probably be non-trivial to
> implement. Something could probably be cobbled up with
> org-entry-member-in-multivalued-property. But regexp searches are
> fairly simple to use, and work now.

This is a fairly good solution. Thanks for hinting me to that solution
and the worg-site. After having worked with regexp-searches for a day, I
see that I can do what I want. Anyway it's quite an amount of typing.

For some reasons I noticed a strange bug (?) connected to
regexp-searches. Whenever I do a org-tags-view, some of my org-files get
the double asterisk in the status-bar. They haven't changed but Emacs
tells me that they had. This always happens to the same three files,
other org-files are untouched.

Does anybody else have that phenomenon?

Greetings,

Sven