Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:22:34 +0100

Hi Viktor,

Viktor Rosenfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> - The old screenshot conveyed what org-mode was all about. Outlining
>   and project planning. The new screenshots take a lot longer to load
>   and even if you click on them, their content is not always
>   accessible.

I agree.  Feel free to contribute to Worg with relevant screenshots
that we can select as "featured on the index page."  Also add title
and caption for these screenshots.

> - I don't like this particular type writer font. On a Mac it's very thin
>   compared to the serifless font that makes up the normal text. But
>   that's just aesthetics.
>
> - I don't like the fixed top bar with the Org-Mode motto and the random
>   quote.  It takes up about 20% of vertical screen space of my laptop. A
>   complete waste in my view. The black background also does not cover
>   the text behind it -- one or two pixel of the text are visible above
>   the bar.

Can you make an alternate .css with non-fixed top bar and a better font?

> - The old homepage had all the easily accessible information on one
>   page. So you could go to the homepage, search for "manual" or "mailing
>   list" and go on from there. (I sometimes work like that.) The new
>   homepage only contains screenshots (that don't convey a lot of
>   meaningful information) and the org-mode mission statement. Useful
>   information is available but the links are somewhat hidden in the
>   description of what org is about and some are hard to find. (E.g. the
>   manual is linked with the text "documented extensively".) I believe
>   that people quickly scan web pages for relevant information and the
>   current format makes that hard.

I somehow agree that it was good to have everything in one page, but I
don't think that page was *that* readable.  In any case, you can always
pull the website (it's just a git repository) and you have everything
in "one directory".

If you have any patch that would make the website better to your eyes,
please send it!

Thanks,

--
 Bastien