Re: [O] ePub construction

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: Re: [O] ePub construction
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:53:35 +0100

Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:

> On 14/12/11 12:42:38, Nick Dokos wrote:
>>
>> Interesting - I downloaded the epub validator, ran Calibre on a silly
>> little org-produced HTML file and duplicated your "lang" problem.
>>
>> AFAICT, all of the problems you mention above are legal HTML4, so
>> either
>> the epub spec (which I have not looked at: do you have a pointer?) is
>> made to trip people up by enforcing restrictions that they dreamed
>> up,
>> or the validator is not quite as smart as it should be.
>
> Yes, the org export file validates at w3c as a valid XHTML1.0 file. The
> ePub spec is here: http://idpf.org/epub but I admit fatigue in trying
> to wade through it, so I don't know what XHTML1.0 constructions it
> objects to. It seems like the kind of document that nobody has ever
> read: sort of like EULAs and express warranties.

I took a quick look through
<http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm> and right to the
beginning <http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm#Section1.3>
"1.3: Relationship to Other Specifications" it says:

"This specification combines subsets and applications of other
specifications."

Next, in <http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm#Section1.3.4>
"1.3.4: Relationship to XHTML and DTBook" it talks about

"..., the Preferred Vocabularies do not include all XHTML 1.1 elements
and attributes."

So, even if you have a valid XHTML file, only a subset of it might be
valid for an epub book. Same goes for CSS.

Lazy as I am, I haven't looked through the other epub parts, since this
seems not relevant here.

Another interesting epub checker might be
<http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/>, which uses "... schemas that were
developed by IDPF and DAISY. ..." according to their website.

Regards, Olaf