Re: [O] centering blocks cause latex export to crash

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [O] centering blocks cause latex export to crash
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:41:14 -0600

On 12/14/11 Dec 14 -3:13 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Robert Goldman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I am using the latest org from git.
>>
>> The attached org-mode file causes latex export to crash with an error of
>> "unbalanced begin/end center blocks with ...."
>>
>> This did work, as recently as a month ago, so something relatively
>> recent has broken it.
>>
>> best,
>
> Indeed, but note that the latex exporter has always been a little flaky
> with stuff before the first headline. As a workaround, if you add a
> headline before the block, it works.
>
> Nick

Thanks.  But the workaround is not ideal here --- the centering block is
supposed to say "Not Cleared for Public Release" for reasons of
conditions on my research grant, and that really is not supposed to be
in a heading.

I have another work-around, but I think the general principle is that
forbidding text before the first header is not an ideal constraint. If
there's a way to have a header that doesn't produce output (a la
noexport), but that doesn't suppress its children, that might be a handy
way to accomplish this.  I don't know if that's possible (that would
also be handy for outlines where you want the outline structure to "fade
away" and just leave you with the text that the outline inspired).

Best,