Re: [O] How to define a start date for a task?

From: Viktor Rosenfeld
Subject: Re: [O] How to define a start date for a task?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:30:18 +0100

Hi,

> Thank you! That is interesting. Is my understanding correct, that you
> meant something like the following.
>
> * TODO Task, that can be completed tomorrow or later
>   START: [2011-12-19 Mon]

Either like this (which can be queried using TIMESTAMP_IA="<2011-12-19
Mon>" or using a property (START="<...>"):

* TODO Task
  :PROPERTIES:
  :START: [2011-12-19 Mon]
  :END:

> This task will not show up on the daily agenda tomorrow since the
> timestamp is inactive. But it is still shown its the agenda task list
> today.

I don't understand why it would show today. The date is in the future
(and it's not a deadline) and the timestamp is inactive. It should not
show up at all, unless the variable
org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps is set.

> What I have to do now is to write a custom agenda search that
> shows me all tasks that do not have a start timestamp or a start
> timestamp in the past or today. This search would hide tasks with a
> start date in the future.

I'm not sure how one can query for tasks that do not have a property. A
possible work-around would be querying for all tasks and then using a
skip function to discard those have a start date in the future.

Cheers,
Viktor