Re: [O] capture problem

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] capture problem
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 04:07:27 -0500

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> I'm sometimes running into this error message when I capture:
>
> condition-case: Capture abort: (quit pasteboard doesn't contain valid data)
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't mean anything to me.  The problem arises
> after I've been working for a while, but I haven't an idea why it
> starts, or any clue to what might trigger it.
>
> I realize this isn't much to go on, and a long way from an ECM, but I
> don't know what to do.  Any ideas on how to track this down will be
> appreciated.
>
> I'm using Org-mode version 7.8.02 (release_7.8.02.13.g0c09a.dirty).

It's fairly certain that the message comes from org-capture:

,----
|       (condition-case error
|           (org-capture-put :template (org-capture-fill-template))
|         ((error quit)
|          (if (get-buffer "*Capture*") (kill-buffer "*Capture*"))
|          (error "Capture abort: %s" error)))
`----

and presumably from the call to org-capture-fill-template. The latter
part of the error message comes from the emacs selection processing
in the file src/nsselect.m which says:

/* NeXT/Open/GNUstep / MacOSX Cocoa selection processing for emacs.

in the function

,----
| ns_string_from_pasteboard (id pb)
| {
|           Fsignal (Qquit,
|                   Fcons (build_string ("pasteboard doesn't contain valid
data"),
|                         Qnil));
|           return Qnil;
| }
`----

So it's MacOSX specific and in emacs C code. But I have no idea what
causes it.

I'm afraid that's about as far as I can go. If you can edebug the
org-capture-fill-template function, maybe you can single-step it and
figure out where it croaks and what values it passes to the function
that causes the error and then proceed further down the call chain.

Nick