Re: [O] Question on LaTeX scaling of images

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Question on LaTeX scaling of images
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:04:09 +0100

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Using this:
>>
>> #+begin_src org
>>   ## +BIND: org-export-latex-image-default-option ""
>>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{calc}
>>
>>   * foo
>>
>>   This is an inline image:=20
>>   #+LaTeX: \raisebox{-\height / 2}{\includegraphics{scomp3.png}}
>>   . It should not be scaled.
>> #+end_src
>>
>> produces that for me:
>>
>> #+begin_src latex
>>   This is an inline image:=20
>>   \raisebox{-\height / 2}{\includegraphics{scomp3.png}}
>>   . It should not be scaled.
>> #+end_src
>>
>> So, it worked out-of-the-box.
>
> The problem is not that it does not work: of course it does. The problem is
> that it is too closely tied to latex - forget about exporting it to HTML or
> any other format.

OK; sorry. I just took the bad expression, it seems. By bad, I mean the
workaround you used, not the original expression you wanted to use. I guess it
was somehow too early in the morning for me ;-)

>> > and I don't know any way to convince it to do it "right". Unless somebody
>> > can come up with such a way, the only possibility that remains is to hack
>> > org-latex.el.
>>
>> You can try the dirty trick given by Carsten: adding `{}' in front of your
>> environment -- as "environments are only detected if they are the first thi=
>> ng
>> in a new line":
>>
>>   #+LaTeX: {}\raisebox{-\height / 2}{
>>
>> See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/21183.
>
> Thanks for the pointer - I'll have to try to remember this for future
> reference (but we all know how that will work out for me :-) ).

Not sure to grasp that last sentence...

> However, in this case, the problem is not the recognition of the
> environment: the latex exporter seems to mangle the link that follows. So
> far, the only thing that has worked is actually hacking org-latex to
> insinuate the \raisebox in the proper place.

Did you send a patch?  Or is this too fragile to be applied to the core?  I
really think I will need such a thing quite soon -- I've got such a
problematic LaTeX construct coming up in slides I'm working on.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban