Re: [O] About the use of PROPERTY "meta lines"...

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] About the use of PROPERTY "meta lines"...
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:22:44 -0700

address@hidden writes:

> Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hmm...
>> but this point is really interesting at least worse to write down in
>> the manual.
>> From my understanding a
>> #+PROPERTY: var bar=2
>> sets bar globally to 2
>> somewhere and many lines and headers later
>> #+PROPERTY: var bar=5
>> would change this value to 5 for either the rest of the file or until
>> a new assignment is given...
>
> I think the behavior is trickier than that.
>
> This file:
>
> ,----
> | #+property: var  foo=1
> | #+property: var+ bar=2
> |
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value :exports both
> |   (+ foo bar)
> | #+end_src
> |
> | #+property: var foo=10
> | #+property: var+ bar=20
> |

> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value :exports both
> |   (+ foo bar)
> | #+end_src
> `----
>
> Yields '30' after each block upon C-c C-e A, suggesting it is the last
> #+property setting the global property.

This makes sense

> But this one:
>
> ,----
> | #+property: var  foo=1
> | #+property: var+ bar=2
> |
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value :exports both
> |   (+ foo bar)
> | #+end_src
> |
> | #+property: var foo=10
> |
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value :exports both
> |   (+ foo bar)
> | #+end_src
> `----
>
> Yields '3' after each block.
>
> So the global behavior of the second 'var foo' line depends on there
> baing a subsequent 'var+' line.
>
> Is this really the expected behavior?

No, the above behavior is not expected.  I've just pushed up a patch
which results in the following behavior, in which the last specification
of a property overwrites any previous specifications.

#+property: something  foo=1
#+property: something+ bar=2
#+property: something foo=10

#+begin_src emacs-lisp