Re: [O] Generating boxplot (candlestick) diagrams (babel or org-plot)

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Generating boxplot (candlestick) diagrams (babel or org-plot)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:30:37 +0100

Hi Eric!

* Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> In more complex examples like these I would recommend using a gnuplot
> code block rather than using Org-plot.

Thought so. Thanks for confirmation.

> Gnuplot has an extremely
> comprehensive built in help system, typing "help boxplot" at the gnuplot
> REPL returns the following.

My gnuplot (Version 4.4 patchlevel 2) returns:

,----
| gnuplot> help boxplot
| Sorry, no help for 'boxplot'
| gnuplot>
`----

gnuplot-doc is installed. Do I miss something else? «help
package?

> Also see the help for "candlestick".  Using this information the
> attached Org-mode file generates a candlestick plot using a Gnuplot code
> block.
>
> #+name: sample
>| x | box_min | whisker_min | whisker_high | box_high |
>|---+---------+-------------+--------------+----------|
>
> #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=sample :results silent
>   set xrange [0:7]
>   plot data using 1:2:3:4:5 with candlesticks
> #+end_src

Your example works like charm at my side.

And now I also understand the problem I had: I thought that gnuplot
is able to derive min/max whisker min/max from the data columns by
itself.

Well - this is bad news to me since I do not see any reasonable way
to use gnuplot for that purpose. I might need to learn R or
Python/matplotlib :-(

Thanks for your help anyway!

--
Karl Voit