Re: [O] :noweb header argument

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] :noweb header argument
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:04:35 +0100

Hi Thomas,

Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Is there a difference between :noweb tangle and :noweb no?

Yes: ":noweb no" is the default, and must *not expand* anything.

> Based on the documentation and some limited testing, I made the following
> table.
>
> *** :noweb parameters
>
> | param  | eval | tangle | export |
> |--------+------+--------+--------|
> | yes    | +    | +      | +      |
> | no     | -    | +      | -      |

It should be "-", "-", "-" here, if "-" means "no expansion".

> | tangle | -    | +      | -      |
> |--------+------+--------+--------|
> | need   | +    | +      | -      |
>
> I think it might be good to have a parameter that expands noweb
> references on evaluation and tangling, but leaves them alone during
> export.  This way the code block would be fully functional, but wouldn't
> duplicate code during export (when the noweb references are to other
> code blocks in the same document).

I'd find that interesting as well, but then the names of the code blocks must
be visible again (in HTML and PDF exports), something that has disappeared
over time.

Find attached the 2 PDF I had written (in 2009) for comparing NoWeb's
rendering of blocks and Babel's rendering. See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-12/msg00170.html.

Some time after that, we had block names in the HTML/PDF output, but not
anymore.

Best regards,
  Seb

--