Re: [O] Minor org mode for achieve code folding effects

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Minor org mode for achieve code folding effects
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:56:32 +0000

Giovanni Giorgi <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>  I'd like to edit some ruby/python/shell script using
> functions folding.
>
> I'd like to get a way to fold functions or method.

Giovanni,

I wonder, having thought about this some more, whether using org mode is
the correct solution?  (as much as I like org!)  There are other
solutions that may work /out of the box/ as you want.  This is *emacs*
we are talking about after all!

For instance, when I was doing a lot of Java programming, I used
hideshow.el all the time to hide block and function bodies.  Works very
well (although the default key bindings are annoying to me).  Have a
look!  It's a standard package in emacs, at least in Emacs 24 but much
earlier than that I believe.

There's a small add-on called hideshow-org.el which may be useful as
well:

,----
| ;;; hideshow-org.el - Provides org-mode like hide and show for hideshow.el
| ;;
| ;; Copyright (C) 2009 Shane Celis
| ;;
| ;; Author: Shane Celis <shane (at) gnufoo (dot) org>
`----

Have a search for that; if you can't find it, I can send you my copy but
there may be a more up to date one on the web somewhere...

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.76.ga9c15)