Re: [O] Invalid capture template with pull of Org 7.8.03?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Invalid capture template with pull of Org 7.8.03?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:44:47 -0500

Damon Haley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction
> because one of my Org capture templates, that I use to feed questions to
> myself (for later use with org-drill) just broke with the most recent
> bzr pull of emacs.

Probably not - see below.

> Now, when I try to use the capture template, I only get this header in
> my target org file.
>
> ** Invalid capture template
>
> I'm on the 24.0.92.1 version of emacs which ships with Org 7.8.03.
>
> Here's the template, which I stole from:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-drill.html
>
> (add-to-list 'org-capture-templates
              vvv
>              '    <<<< THIS SHOULD BE A BACKQUOTE
              ^^^
>              ("W"
>               "Capture web snippet"
>               entry
>               (file+headline "~/git/org/learn-emacs.org" "Emacs mastery")
>               ,(concat "* Fact: '%:description'        :"
>                        (format "%s" org-drill-question-tag)
>                        ":\n:PROPERTIES:\n:DATE_ADDED: %u\n:SOURCE_URL:
> %c\n:END:\n\n%i\n%?\n")
>               :empty-lines 1
>               :immediate-finish t))
>
> Is there any obvious reason this template would break?

You are quoting the entry but including a , before the concat. That
indicates that instead of the quote ', you need to use a backquote ` to
allow the comma to evaluate the (concat ...)  expression at definition
time.

I checked the webpage you refer to and there is a backquote there, so I
can only surmise that you changed it by mistake recently.

Nick