Re: [O] Question about repeating events.

From: Sam Auciello
Subject: Re: [O] Question about repeating events.
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:41:17 -0500

Thanks, I was confused by the distinction between scheduled items and appointments but you've cleared this up.  What I was thinking would be cluttered was if I just used the <.. +1w> syntax and I was looking at my agenda for next semester (when the class is over) then the agenda would be cluttered with events that weren't meant to be there.  This link: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#org-class, looks to be just what I needed.

Thanks,

Peace
~Sam

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
Sam Auciello <address@hidden> writes:

> I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Not at all; definitely the right place.  However, I would suggest you
search the mailing list first before asking as your question has come up
umpteen times before!  It's also answered on Worg.

> I'm trying to set up repeating events to stop repeating after a given
> date.  In this case it's classes I'm taking this semester that need to
> repeat once a week so I enter them like:
>
> *** Programming Workshop
>      <2012-01-24 Tue 13:30-14:50 +1w>, <2012-01-20 Fri 13:30-14:50 +1w>
>
> The agenda shows the class being scheduled each tuesday and friday but I
> would like to tell it to stop repeating at the end of the semester.
>
> I didn't see anything helpful here:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html#Repeated-tasks
>
> The options I see here are using C-c C-x c to make a bunch of duplicate
> entries (which seems a little messy to me, but perhaps this is just how
> it's done) or simply marking the item as DONE at the end of the semester.
> The latter option seems a little weird to me too since it would make my
> agenda for the following semester cluttered if I was looking at it to plan
> future events.  Is there an option I'm overlooking?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peace
> ~Sam

I do the latter (copy with time shift) and have been doing so for quite
a while.  I find this is quite appropriate for schedules like this as it
allows one to "miss" the odd entry (e.g. study/reading week or class
cancelled for whatever reason).

I am not sure what you mean by saying that it makes the agenda
cluttered?  The result is the same in the agenda view: an entry for each
day/time a class is scheduled.  I also do not understand your reference
to marking anything done!  This is not a TODO item, it is an
appointment.

I think it's worthwhile distinguishing between appointments (which
*have* to take place at the appointed time) and scheduled work (i.e. a
/task/ which you intend to do at a certain time but which may end up
being done earlier or later).  The latter is a TODO item; the former is
not.  The latter will remain in the agenda view until it is marked done
whereas the former only appears on the time+day indicated.

I hope this makes some sort of sense...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.122.g5b407)