Re: [O] Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:03:36 -0600

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Daniel Bausch <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello!

> On a usage note, I was surprised that the patch causes automatic insertion
> of top and bottom rules even when the org table doesn't use ascii
> top/bottom rules. In fact, if you use "|-" to put ascii rules on an org
> chart using this patch, you get double rules.

Disclaimer: I did not test this at all, but am interested in a convenient
booktabs support, too.

I think it is reasonable to put the top and bottom rules automatically, as
booktabs somewhat defines that as the intended look.  So it would be redundant
to require a |- on top and bottom for all tables on the org side.  I even
think that org tables with top and bottom rules do not look good, because the
vertical lines do not stop at the horizontal lines (from a visual point of
view).  This way it looks like is a very small empty table line above and
below the table.

I can see that point. I guess I was just surprised given the org-mode default.

Perhaps it is just a preference with the look. I don't mind having them "closed in" by ascii rules. In any case, what probably *shouldn't* happen are double rules if someone by habit puts rules on their org table with |-. That's the current behavior.

Best regards,
John

Daniel