Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding

From: Martyn Jago
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:10:26 +0000

Hi

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Well maybe we should roll back this change.
>
> Please don't.  _That_ would be a regression.

These changes /have/ caused a software regression, and should be
reverted immediately, since:

- they change current expected and implemented behavior to the cost of
  users expectations and current use, with no prior discussion and
  agreement on behavior changes

It has been proven that to achieve the required consistency set out by
this thread /without/ breaking current expectations is less than
straight-forward, and the changes should therefore be moved to
EXPERIMENTAL - at least until the changes are proven not to break
current expectations.

Much of org-mode is currently inconsistent - and while it is highly
desirable to improve on that situation, it should not become the major
decision to change code at the cost of regression - org-mode is a very
practical system used successfully by lots of (very appreciative)
people, and while all users appreciate bug fixes / enhancements in the
fast-moving repository that is org-mode (thanks Carsten), clear
regression such as this should be avoided in master at all costs.

At least that is my understanding of the development model as
established by Carsten.

If this is /not/ the case, then many people are wasting their time
writing regression tests IMHO.

Best, Martyn

[...]