Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:48:05 -0700

Martyn Jago <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Well maybe we should roll back this change.
>>
>> Please don't.  _That_ would be a regression.
>>

> These changes /have/ caused a software regression, and should be
> reverted immediately, since:
>
> - they change current expected and implemented behavior to the cost of
>   users expectations and current use, with no prior discussion and
>   agreement on behavior changes

I'm inclined to agree.  I've just reverted the removal of results
folding pending further discussion.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

> It has been proven that to achieve the required consistency set out by
> this thread /without/ breaking current expectations is less than
> straight-forward, and the changes should therefore be moved to
> EXPERIMENTAL - at least until the changes are proven not to break
> current expectations.
>
> Much of org-mode is currently inconsistent - and while it is highly
> desirable to improve on that situation, it should not become the major
> decision to change code at the cost of regression - org-mode is a very
> practical system used successfully by lots of (very appreciative)
> people, and while all users appreciate bug fixes / enhancements in the
> fast-moving repository that is org-mode (thanks Carsten), clear
> regression such as this should be avoided in master at all costs.

My adviser is fond of saying something along the lines of "programming
languages should let you break the rules".  To the extent that Org-mode
is a document programming language its rules should be flexible as well.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/