Re: [O] [ODT] image scaling overridden by long caption

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] [ODT] image scaling overridden by long caption
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 01:33:54 +0530

Hello Andreas

> Hi all,
>
> I experience unexpected behaviour with the excellent odt exporter in case of
> included images.
> When I add a #+caption the text width of that caption overrides the
> specified image width (#ATTR_ODT: :witdh X), which I use to downscale
> the image in the odt.
> Especially if that caption will span across multiple lines, that effect
> is visible.
>
> Here is the example:

> * odt image test
>   #+caption: foo
>   #+ATTR_ODT: :width 8
>   #+header: :file foo.png
>   #+header: :width 3600 :height 3600 :res 600
>   #+begin_src R :exports results :results graphics
>     plot(1:100, 1:100)
>   #+end_src
>   #+caption: foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo
> foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo
> foo foo foo foo
>   #+ATTR_ODT: :width 8
>   #+header: :file foo.png
>   #+header: :width 3600 :height 3600 :res 600
>   #+begin_src R :exports results :results graphics
>     plot(1:100, 1:100)
>   #+end_src
>

> I'd expect the image scaling to take place in either case.  Maybe even
> the caption should wrap at the specified width.

I have pushed a fix for this. Hope the new behaviour is according to
your expectation.

> On a related note:  Could I place two (correctly scaled) images
> side-by-side?

For the sake of record, your request is much similar to what is
discussed here
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-12/msg00780.html -
save for (dynamically-generated) images taking the place of src blocks.

Try something like this:

#+begin_list-table
- [[./foo1.png]]
  - [[./foo2.png]]
#+end_list-table

Make sure that the images are "small" images. If you replace the image
links above with R srcblocks or attach caption/attr_odt to the above
above images, the results are less than satisfactory. So the answer to
your question is a "soft" no.

Notes to self:

There are multiple ways to achieve side-by-side effect.
- use tables (aka "list tables")
- use 2-Column sections
- 2-column frames (what is this?)

"side-by-side" has surfaced in the list for the second time, I think it
deserves to be supported "out of the box".

Jambunathan K.