Re: [O] C-a in lists when org-special-ctrl-a/e

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] C-a in lists when org-special-ctrl-a/e
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:57:51 -0500

> address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

>> On check lists however, I would have expected a corresponding
>> behavior.  Currently, on the first C-a, the cursor moves back on the
>> "[" character, while I think it should move after the space following
>> "]".

> According to the documentation: "In an item, this will be the position
> after the bullet". Thus, that behaviour seems correct to me.  Note
> that check-boxes are not part of the bullet (text is indented below
> them on second line of an item).

The text says:

   When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
   headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO
   keyword.  In an item, this will be the position after the bullet.

It all depends if we read the letter or the spirit of the second
sentence.  "[ ]" is a kind of TODO, and "[X]" is a kind of DONE, as
demonstrated by the commands `C-x -' and `C-x *'.  That's why I quite
naturally expect the cursor to be positioned after the check box.

This is of course all debatable.  I think the spirit and usefulness of
org-special-ctrl-a/e would be better guaranteed, if the behavior was
amended.

François