Re: [O] Side-by-side support

From: Christian Wittern
Subject: Re: [O] Side-by-side support
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:51:59 +0900

Hi Jambunathan,

On 2012-01-24 01:34, Jambunathan K wrote:

In my case, I have simply separated the columns by a<tab>  character
and set the tab-width to a sensible value for nice on-screen display.
These are 'text' and 'translation of that text' side-by-side,
When you are saying on-screen display, I presume you are referring to
the Emacs screen? I have a strong feeling that you are using two column
editing. Otherwise, it would be extremely difficult to keep one's
sanity.
Actually I started out using 2C editing for this, but it came constantly in my way, so currently what I am doing is:
(1) use a tab character to separate the two columns and
(2) set the tab-width to 30 (in most cases), so that most of the columns are nicely separated.

This works very well for editing in Emacs. However, at the moment I do not have an easy way to export this to ODT as it s. Now I have given further thought to this, maybe the following will work: (1) consecutive lines with 1 or more <tab> characters and the *same* number of such <tab>s will be considered as a table and the exporter will work with this as if it were a org-table. (Note that I usually only have two columns and as you said, with more columns one is probably better off using proper tables) (2) This option is switched on or off through a variable or a OPTION line in the header of the file. (3) as I mentioned earlier, it would be good to be also able to globally set the proportions (maybe this can already be done with column properties?)

All the best,

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto