Re: [O] Why functions like org-show-subtree are undocumented?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Why functions like org-show-subtree are undocumented?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:22:38 +0000

On 23.1.2012, at 16:27, Alexander Corvinus wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just reviewed code in org.el and noticed that function org-show-subtree,
> which is called by org-cycle, unconditionally shows whole subtree (exactly
> what I wanted to have in my shortcuts!).
>
> So the question is - why such useful functions like org-show-subtree,
> hide-subtree, show-children aren't documented in manual? Because of that,
> previously I thought that what I wanted was impossible (without source
> change).

Emacs outline-mode has a plethora of such specific commands, and
exposes all of them as user interface.  Org prides itself
to have compressed that entire functionality into the TAB and S-TAB
commands.  You specific example, org-show-subtree is basically
TAB TAB on a closed tree.  SO yes, there are lots such commands,
but I am no sure it would be good to expose them in the manual.

- Carsten