Re: [O] Non-interactive insertion of future-dates

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] Non-interactive insertion of future-dates
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:56:37 -0500

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:42, Simon Campese <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I want to setup a capture-template that sets a
> SCHEDULE-property in the future (say one week from today) without any
> user interaction.
>
> Currently, I almost achieve this by inserting the line
>
> :SCHEDULED: <%(org-read-date nil nil nil nil nil "+1w")>
>
> into my template. When I now call the template, I end up in the
> date-time-prompt, with "+1w" prefilled, so that manually have to press
> enter.
>
> Maybe it is trivial to call an interactive lisp-function and emulate
> some keypress, in which case I would be thankful for the code that
> achieves this (my lisp-skills are limited). Also, one should be able to
> achieve what I want by using format-time-string and increment the
> current time, but again my lisp-skills prohibit me from implementing it
> myself.

A similar question had come up on StackOverflow (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7986935/using-org-capture-templates-to-schedule-a-todo-for-the-day-after-today/7988809#7988809
).

My answer there should apply, adjusting the offset from +1d to +1w :

    SCHEDULED: %(org-insert-time-stamp (org-read-date nil t \"+1d\"))

Alternately you can include the SCHEDULED: portion within the
timestamp insertion itself.  This example will also include a fixed
time at which to schedule the item (unneeded in this case I suspect
but it could be of use elsewhere) :

    (org-insert-time-stamp (org-read-date nil t \"+1w 12:00\") t nil
\"SCHEDULED: \")

> In any case, it might be a good idea to include non-interactive access
> to relative times in template expansion, so that for example one
> can state something like %t[+1w] or %{+1w}t in the template to get the
> date one week from today (one should spend some more time to specify the
> actual input-format of course...). What do you think?

I agree, adding the ability to automatically have relative dates would
allow for quicker capture templates if you regularly need to to set
them with a specific offset.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Simon

Regards,