[O] Variable settings in .emacs VS cross device portability.

From: Yu
Subject: [O] Variable settings in .emacs VS cross device portability.
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:13:09 +0100

Hello!

I was wondering if there is a possibility to make org-files fully
portable in behaviour (especially when exporting) between different
emacs installations.

When reading the mailing list or other writing about org-mode,
commonly suggestions of the type "just add (setq org-foo bar) to your
.emacs". This however creates a dependency on the local setup of the
variables, which likely will be a problem, when sharing the file with
someone.

My current solution is to use a template file with #+BIND: and
#+PROPERTY: lines in a setup section rather than setting anything in
configuration files.

However, is there some way to turn a user-variable dependent file into
a portable file? I was thinking of something along the lines of
"dumping user-specified variables into a list of #+BIND lines" and, if
necessary, the magic "-*- var: value -*-" line at the start of the
file (or, less elegant because of spreading options across different
positions in the file) the commented "local variables" structure near
the end of the file. The latter two variants only apply if I am right
about #+BIND lines applying only during export (whereas the magic
emacs lines should create buffer-local bindings).

king regards, Yu