Re: [O] Org without X on Debian

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Org without X on Debian
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:28:38 +0000

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl <address@hidden> writes:
>> I want to use a small netbook exclusively for Org-mode.
>> That's why I think I do not need X.
>
> You may not need it, but a lightweight window manager like WindowMaker
> fvwm or maybe a tiling WM like awesome may be worth a second look.  Have
> a look here:

I will second this.  I use ratpoison and have it configured so it
actually looks like a console (no borders, no labels, ...).  Maximises
the screen real estate and yet provides a full Emacs experience
including full colours (not just 16 or whatever you get with the
console) and all the various keystrokes (M-<right> etc.).

I used to use console+screen but found the limitations of the console
frustrating.  I still do use this combination when connecting via ssh from
my phone but that's for quick 'n dirty access only and I put up with the
reduced interface capabilities.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.283.g171ea)