Re: [O] Bug: can't use square brackets in link descriptions;

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: can't use square brackets in link descriptions;
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:43:06 +0100

Hi,

One way to solve it would be with org entities. I don't think they exist for square brackets, but you could make a user-defined one.

You could put something like this in your .emacs (I think plain bracket characters should work in every export format, so I haven't bothered to look up HTML entities or LaTeX commands):

(setq org-entities-user
      '(("lbr" "[" nil "[" "[" "[" "[") ; left square bracket
        ("rbr" "]" nil "]" "]" "]" "]"))) ; right square bracket

Then try the following -- ugly as sin, and as painful as XML entities, but it gives the output you want in whatever format:

  Here is a [[http://foobar.org][foo \lbr{}bar\rbr{}]]

The curly bracket replacement (which I think is very reasonable, really) is currently hardcoded in org-make-link-string. If it were made customizable, that would take the pain (but not the ugliness) out of making links like the above.

A backslash escape would have been nice to have, but \[...\] is already interpreted as a math environment.

Yours,
Christian