[O] Emacs/Org-mode configs spread over multiple accounts/machines (was:

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Emacs/Org-mode configs spread over multiple accounts/machines (was: Variable settings in .emacs VS cross device portability.)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:59:10 +0100

* Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was wondering if there is a possibility to make org-files fully
> portable in behaviour (especially when exporting) between different
> emacs installations.

The Tread has turned into BIND and local variables only.  I wanted
to add my current solution which uses a different approach.

My ~/.emacs is a symlink to ~/hosts/${HOSTNAME}/emacs where
host-specific or platform-specific configuration is stored. The
directory ~/hosts is synchronized[1] on all of my machines and
accounts.

In ~/hosts/all/emacs.d/* I have got myorgmode.el, mycommon.el,
myauctex.el, myedit-server.el, mypython.el, and so forth.

As you can imagine, the ~/hosts/${HOSTNAME}/emacs contains a load
command for mycommon.el which refers to all the other el files.

Therefore mycommon.el and all the others are identical on all my
machines whereas ~/.emacs contains (only few) platform-specific
things.

Maybe this is a possible attempt to overcome your problems when
using Org-mode on different machines.

  1. I am currently using Unison File Synchronizer[2] in combination
     with crond/LaunchCtl but git or something like dvcs-autosync[3]
     or even Dropbox will work too.
  2. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
  3. http://www.mayrhofer.eu.org/dvcs-autosync
--