Re: [O] OT: taskjuggler question

From: Christian Egli
Subject: Re: [O] OT: taskjuggler question
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:24:55 +0100

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> But I have no TaskJugglerUI executable, which seems to be what the
> exporter tries to call for export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I
> missing?

The TaskJugglerUI exists only if you have taskjuggler2.4 installed. The
exporter predates tj3 and naively assumes that there is a TaskJugglerUI
executable. It should really invoke a browser on the resulting HTML
report[1] when you call export-and-open, at least when you are targeting
tj3. The worst part is that it doesn't even tell the user that something
failed, as it invokes the executable asynchronously using
start-process-shell-command (info: (elisp) Asynchronous Processes). That
way you can continue to work with emacs but emacs doesn't know what
happened to the subprocess. I'll have to do some more research on how to
start a process in the background and still check if it succeeded.

Thanks
Christian

Footnotes:
[1]  the tricky bit here is of course to find the resulting HTML, as the
name of it is defined in a tj3 report definition. I'd rather refrain
from parsing these report definitions just to find the name of the HTML
file to open.

--
Christian Egli