Re: [O] Question related to org-babel-expand-src-block

From: Christophe Pouzat
Subject: Re: [O] Question related to org-babel-expand-src-block
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 21:20:54 +0100

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Christophe Pouzat <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Using the last org-mode version from the git repository (7.8.03) I've found a
>> mismatch between the key-chord required to call function
>> =org-babel-expand-src-block= (=C-c C-v v=) and the ones given in the
>> info file: =C-c C-v p= or =C-c C-v C-p=. The same goes for the
>> [[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html][Babel:
>> Introduction]] where the given key-chord is =C-c M-b p=.
>>
>> In the same line, I have a question concerning the inclusion of the
>> /expanded/ source block in the generated output. Let's assume that I
>> define in my =.org= file a variable containing a file name like:
>>
>> #+name: my-file-name
>> : dataFile.mat
>>
>> I want then a code block (using =R= in that case) that checks if
>> "dataFile.mat" is in the working directory with something like:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var fileName=my-file-name :exports both
>>   fileName %in% list.files(pattern="*.mat")
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> I'm passing the file name as a variable because I want to repeat the same
>> analysis on different data files. But I would like to see in the HTML output
>> the value of the above variable =fileName=. I would like essentially  to
>> export the expanded source block. Is there a way to do that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Christophe
>
> Hi Christophe,
>
> Thanks for reporting the documentation issue, I've just pushed up a
> patch which updates the documentation appropriately.
>
> I do not believe there is a way to export an expanded code blocks, and I
> fear you may not want to see the variable assignment code in your
> export.  You can however use noweb references to achieve the behavior
> you are after with the following.
>
> #+name: my-file-name
> : dataFile.mat
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :exports both :noweb yes
>   <<my-file-name()>> %in% list.files(pattern="*.mat")
> #+END_SRC
>
> Best,

Hi Eric,

I agree with you: I don't want to see the variable assignment code in my
export in general – in particular if this means assigning a big matrix to
a variable.
I will try your noweb suggestion for the few cases where I want to
export the assignment.

Thanks for your help.

Christophe
--

Most people are not natural-born statisticians. Left to our own
devices we are not very good at picking out patterns from a sea of

--

Christophe Pouzat
MAP5 - Mathématiques Appliquées à Paris 5

tel: +33142863828
mobile: +33662941034
web: http://www.biomedicale.univ-paris5.fr/physcerv/C_Pouzat.html