Re: [O] [code] Small elisp snippet to search among toplevel headlines in

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] [code] Small elisp snippet to search among toplevel headlines in a file
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 23:03:57 -0500 (EST)

Another possible idea may be to write project titles in bold while on
headlines.  That way all you need search for is the beginning of a line
followed by a single * followed by a blank followed by the opening mark
for bolding and if this is only done with project titles you got yourself
an index.On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Marc-Oliver Ihm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one big org-file for a lot of smaller projects,
> each of them represented by a toplevel item.
>
> And I have difficulties finding them quickly:
> In most cases I know a buzzword from the headline;
> however, if I do a search-forward I normally find
> some other text within the body of an unrelated project
> further above in the file; and only after several
> repetitions of search I find the toplevel heading
> (i.e. the project) I was looking for.
>
> To make it easier to search only among toplevel headings
> (i.e. among the the titles of my projects),
> I wrote this small piece of elisp,
> which lives in my initialization-file (e.g. .emacs):
>
> (define-key org-mode-map
>   [(f11)]
>   (lambda () (interactive)
>     (progn
>       (occur (concat "^\\* .*"
>                      (read-from-minibuffer
>                       "Occur for toplevel headlines containing: "))
>              nil)
>       (pop-to-buffer "*Occur*")
>       (use-local-map (copy-keymap (current-local-map)))
>       (local-set-key (kbd "RET")
>                      (lambda () (interactive)
>                        (progn
>                          (occur-mode-goto-occurrence)
>                          (delete-other-windows)))))))
>

> To find a project I just press f11 (please choose your own key) and
> enter a keyword to do an occur for this keyword. Normally several toplevel
> headings are found and the right one is chosen by typing return.
>
> I hope, that someone might find this useful too.
>
> with kind regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>