Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:16:30 +0100

Hi François,

2012/2/8 François Pinard <address@hidden>:
> Hi, Org people.
>
> I notice in org.el that [X] is hard-wired, while I would have liked the
> possibility of changing it by [✓] in my things, which I find both softer
> and cleaner.  Could these ([ ], [-] and [X]) be turned into variables?
> The difficulty might be to recognize them properly, I guess.
>
> While it would be nice that I could change it, it might also have a
> negative effect, making Org files less interoperable between people.  On
> the other hand, the TODO keywords are already changeable, so there is a
> kind of precedent :-).

One has to draw the line at something. Although I am just a user I feel
this falls into the same category as the request from last year to make
the stars in a headline configurable. This is an integral part of org
syntax.

Last time during the customisable headline thread this was discussed
extensively and the core developers agreed that making org syntax
customisable defeats interoperability and breaks external tools written
to parse org files.

That said, I believe you can customise how these check boxes are
exported to various backends. AFAIR, there is a nice thread discussing
the case for latex export from the end of last year.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu