Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:29:28 -0500

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi François,

Hi, Suvayu (or Ali?)

> 2012/2/8 François Pinard <address@hidden>:
>> I notice in org.el that [X] is hard-wired, while I would have liked the
>> possibility of changing it by [✓] in my things

> One has to draw the line at something.

Granted. :-)

> Although I am just a user I feel this falls into the same category as
> the request from last year to make the stars in a headline
> configurable. This is an integral part of org syntax.

Well, Org mode is built over Outline mode, stars are coming from there.
While [?] are pure Org mode additions, so Org "owns" it better...

> making org syntax customisable defeats interoperability and breaks
> external tools written to parse org files.

Exactly my objection to my own suggestion.

> That said, I believe you can customise how these check boxes are
> exported to various backends. AFAIR, there is a nice thread discussing
> the case for latex export from the end of last year.

Oh, I was not at all thinking about export.  Just my own pleasure while
editing Org mode files within Emacs. :-)  Not a big deal, of course.

François