Re: [O] automatically mark DONE when all sub checkboxes are checked

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] automatically mark DONE when all sub checkboxes are checked
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:47:50 -0600

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Angel de Vicente <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>> I don't get any error, but it doesn't work. Also, the example in worg
>> had an extra parenthesis at the end of it... not sure if that's
>> goofing it up. I don't know lisp, so I just deleted one of the last
>> parentheses and loading my .emacs stopped complaining. Not sure if
>> that last trailing one was the offender or not. In any case, this is
>> not working for me on an up to date org install (pulled yesterday).
>
> Perhaps you are trying a TODO heading that doesn't have one of the
> progress indicators?
>
> I have just tried it, and with TODOs headings as follows works OK. If
> you don't put the progress indicators then it doesn't work, since the
> function is looking for the 100% text or for n/n (which indicates that
> you have completed all the tasks).
>
> * TODO try [%]
>
> * TODO try [/]

Yup -- that was the ticket. Though the function just seems to cycle
the state to the first done one in the list. My states are:
-- todo next | waiting cancelled done

Thus, when I complete all checkboxes, it actually moves it from todo -> waiting.

In any case, it seems that with the right setup (probably just
changing the order of my items after the =|=) it does work. As a
general  note, I think the manual would be improved with concrete
examples of what this means:

,---
| Note that the code requires that a checkbox statistics
| cookie be present in order for it to work.
`---

I had no idea what that meant and thought it was just reiterating that
you actually need checkboxes for this to work. Now it makes sense.
Even inserting "(a statistics cookie is [/] or [%] in the parent todo
headline)" would make it crystal clear.

Thanks,
John