Re: [O] [feature request] org-insert-heading

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [feature request] org-insert-heading
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:19:08 +0100

Hello,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> I actually like the ability to split lines with M-RET, especially since
> there doesn't seem to be a sane way to tell org that "yes I want to
> split the line this time".  What I want is that "point at EOL" is
> recognized as a special situation, much like "point at BOL" already
> is.

Excepted that, unlike to headlines, EOL is _not_ a special position in
an item. Remember that an headline has to fit on a single line, whereas
an item may span over multiple paragraphs, tables, and even plain lists.

Look at the following example:

#+begin_src org
- first line of the first item

  another paragraph in the item

  one last paragraph

- second item
#+end_src

If I use M-RET with point between "first" and "item", I get ("|" being
the point):

#+begin_src org
- first line of the first

- |item

  another paragraph in the item

  one last paragraph

- second item
#+end_src

If I use M-RET with point a word further, that is after "item",
I logically have:

#+begin_src org
- first line of the first item

- |

  another paragraph in the item

  one last paragraph

- second item
#+end_src

It will be the same if I use M-RET before "another". I can also go on
with point after "another":

#+begin_src org
- first line of the first item

  another

- |paragraph in the item

  one last paragraph

- second item
#+end_src

It is very predictable, isn't it?

On the other hand, it isn't consistent to allow, at every EOL in the
item, to jump below contents and add a new item there.

Now, perhaps the variable's name is misleading, as it isn't really about
splitting lines, which make no sense in items, but splitting contents.

Note that you can easily obtain what you want with M-RET M-DOWN at
beginning of item, or even write a function to do with even less
keystrokes.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou