Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:12:22 -0500

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ctrl-S being turned into a rectangle is mysterious.  Is it the
>> standard way for Emacs to tell about a non-printable character?

> You can see the tick mark if you follow this link:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52281

Oops, indeed!

Checking more closely on the message you originally sent to me (with a
Cc: to the mailing list)...  There were two check marks in the message.
If I open the message raw in Gnus (`C-u g' in the summary buffer), I see
both of them coded as =E2=9C=93.  But if I let Gnus to render the
message, while the first check mark is OK, the second gets mangled into
a Ctrl-S.  Could it be a problem with the Gnus rendering mechanics for
whatever sits between #+begin_src and #+end_src?

> If the above command doesn't yield a tick mark the issue is with your
> setup.

Changing the Ctrl-S by the check mark, within ~/.emacs, now makes much
more sense!  I'm getting exactly what I wanted through this writing,
inspired from yours (thanks, Jambunathan!):

(font-lock-add-keywords
 'org-mode
    (0 (progn (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) "✔") nil)))
   ))

I'm being lucky here, as I only barely understand what the incantation
means! :-)

François