Re: [O] Temp files from testing are permanent...

From: Brian Wightman
Subject: Re: [O] Temp files from testing are permanent...
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:02:49 -0600

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Olaf Meeuwissen <address@hidden> writes:
>> If running `make check` (or similar) creates these files, `make clean`
>> (or similar) should clean them up.
>
> I was asking that question to decide whether I do need to extend my
> Makefile fork to handle the cleanup or if the testsuite needs to be
> called differently to avoid leaving these stale files.  ...  It would
> also seem logical that for debugging purposes one could leave the files
> around.

If created with make-temp-file, and created in the system-configured
$TMPDIR directory, I would urge (wearing my sysadmin hat) that they
get purged at the end of the test run, unless told to do otherwise.
If created in the build/test directory, then either make clean or
immediate purge seems reasonable.

Files created in the system $TMPDIR are not meant (caution: purist
view) to remain beyond the execution of the program (or set of
programs).  Some OS variants are set up to purge the $TMPDIR on
reboot, login, or at other times, and some even store it in a virtual
memory backed filesystem.  When performing as a sysadmin, finding that
an application has littered a (usually) limited system resource such
as the system $TMPDIR with files that are no longer useful is a minor
irritant at best, to a crash-inducing resource consumer at worst.

Just my $0.02 if you are taking donations.

Brian