Re: [O] Controlling pagination on headings in Latex/PDF export?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Controlling pagination on headings in Latex/PDF export?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:02:40 -0500

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jos'h,
>
> Jos'h Fuller wrote:
> > OK, I'm an idiot. I forgot to put in the ":" after the "#+latex", so it
> > didn't get processed correctly.
>
> That happens to everybody... No need to be an idiot ;-)
>
> > However, once I did put it in, it does work to keep the headings together
> > with
> > the table data. However... it also seems to embed the spurious word
> > "afterheading" (in italics) after most (but not all) of the top level
> > headings
> > in the file.
> >
> > So, it totally works to keep the headings and tables together, but the
> > /afterheading/ thing is very strange.
> >
> > I've probably still done something wrong. Any ideas?
>
> Strange. Maybe, you could send here an ECM (Minimal Complete Example) that
> shows the bug without the \mykeepwithnextpar and shows the afterheading
> problem with it...
>
> So that one can try to reproduce your problem without loosing too much time,
> in order to help you better and quicker.
>
> BTW, you should put \mykeepwithnextpar after the heading "DEPARTMENT A", not
> before (as I wrote)...

@ is a character that is reserved for .sty files: it's basically used as
a mechanism to manufacture private names that are not going to conflict
with other names. If you want to use @ in a macro in your .tex file,
then you have to do something like this:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \makeatletter
#+LaTeX_HEADER: address@hidden
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \makeatother

However the best thing is to put the definition in a .sty file:

--8<---------------keeper.sty---------------start------------->8---
address@hidden
--8<---------------keeper.sty---------------end--------------->8---

and then use

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{keeper}

in your .org file.

However, I find it exceedingly difficult to manufacture an example that
will produce the bad break that the OP reports: LaTeX seems very
reluctant to break after the headline. E.g. in the appended file, I can
vary the number of foo lines from 0 to enough to fill the page and I
cannot split the DEPARTMENT headline from the table. I also tried
various lengths for the table (not very systematically, I must admit)
and I still cannot get the default settings to misbehave. This leads me
to believe that there are those "other" factors that affect badness:
LaTeX thinks that there is something so severely out of whack in the
"other" factors that it is willing to make the supreme sacrifice of
splitting the headline from the table.

So if the OP can provide a misbehaving example, that could help clarify
things.

Nick

PS. Note that the call to \mykeewithnextpar is disabled in the file
    below. If I enable it, I actually get a foo line at the top of the
    second page before the DEPARTMENT headline, so it certainly affects
    the output, but not in a good way.

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{keeper}

* Period 2012-02-06 to 2012-02-12
** Asset
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foofoo foo foo foo foo foo
##+LATEX: \mykeepwithnextpar{}
*** DEPARTMENT
    | Data        | Data | Data | Data |
    |-------------+------+------+------|