[O] Beamer confusion: environments are ignored

From: James Harkins
Subject: [O] Beamer confusion: environments are ignored
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:42:09 +0800

Still having Beamer problems. C-c C-e p is making the PDF at the end,
but it's ignoring structural tags except for lists.

I've pasted a simple example under my name. In the resulting .tex
file, the code for both frames is identical, except for "sec" labels.
The second frame contains Beamer environment properties while the
first frame does not, so it looks like the block environments are not
doing anything.

For that matter, I just checked the tex file generated by Carsten's
demo presentation in the org manual, and there's no evidence of the
blocks at all. The only TeX environments that appear with \begin are
{document}, {frame} and {itemize} -- but Carsten's demo uses:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :END:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
    :END:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :END:

... and a :B_note: tag, which claims it "will be formatted as a beamer
note" but it isn't.

For my own short file, I would have assumed that I did something
wrong, but that's less plausible for example code from the manual. So
I suppose it must be an installation or configuration problem.

Ideas?

Tonight's experimentation is driven by the simple use case I mentioned
before -- centering a paragraph (and eventually putting some extra
space around it, but I can handle that later). E.g.,

- A bullet heading within the frame
  A free paragraph

                Centered text

- Another bullet

Am I on the right track by looking at blocks? Could somebody give me a
quick example of how to do this, and I'll try to extrapolate to other
uses?

Thanks,
James

#+TITLE:     beamer-blocks.org
#+AUTHOR:    dlm
#+EMAIL:     address@hidden
#+DATE:      2012-02-22 Wed
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:
#+XSLT:

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %9BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* A section
** A frame
*** An item
    Some text, which I hope will become a block

*** Another item
    Other text

** A second frame
*** An item                                                    :B_alertblock:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: alertblock
    :END:
    Some text, which I hope will become a block

*** Another item                                                   :B_normal:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: normal
    :END:
    Other text