Re: [O] [Bug] Tests for experimental org-features should expect to fail

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Tests for experimental org-features should expect to fail if not activated by the user
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:18:33 -0700

Moving forward on this point, many of the existing tests explicitly
`require' new Org-mode functionality (mainly language support for
testing code blocks execution).  I do not think that tests should ever
be activating new packages changing a users global environment.

For this reason I have just pushed up a commit which changes all

  (require 'org-foo)

  (unless (featurep 'org-foo)
    (signal 'missing-test-dependency "Org support for doing foo."))

so that those tests simple aren't run on the users system.  Please let
me know if anyone thinks this is a mistake and we can discuss.  The only
drawback I see is that batch-mode scripts will have to explicitly
activate the features which they would like to test, by evaluating forms
like (require 'org-foo) before the call to the test suite -- and I would
argue that being explicit about such things is a benefit.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/