Re: [O] d Dynamically exclude an 'org id' with org-babel-load-file?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] d Dynamically exclude an 'org id' with org-babel-load-file?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:44:33 -0500

Damon Haley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I downloaded Bernt Hansen's wonderful GTD orgmode setup from:
>
> git clone git://git.norang.ca/org-mode-doc.git
>
> I am then using his customizations in my emacs config with:
>
> (org-babel-tangle-file "~/git/src/org-mode-doc/org-mode.org")
> (org-babel-load-file "~/git/src/org-mode-doc/org-mode.org")
>
> However there is one section under Bernt's 'Agenda setup' with an org id
> of 'AgendaSetup' that I don't want to evaluate in my emacs
> initialization.
>
> ** Agenda Setup
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CUSTOM_ID: AgendaSetup
> :END:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes :exports none
>   ;; The following setting is different from the document so that you
>   ;; can override the document org-agenda-files by setting your
>   ;; org-agenda-files in the variable org-user-agenda-files
>   ;;
>   (if (boundp 'org-user-agenda-files)
>       (setq org-agenda-files org-user-agenda-files)
>     (setq org-agenda-files (quote ("~/git/org"
>                                  "~/git/org/client1"
>                                  "~/git/org/bzflag"
>                                  "~/git/client2"))))
>
> #+end_src
>
> I know I could edit the file directly and change tangle to 'no'.
>
> But is there a way to exclude this section dynamically when I start up
> emacs without having to manually change Bernt's file?  This is because
> I'd like to use git pull again in the future to get Bernt's latest
> changes and not have to keep track of the changes I made.
>
> There is a function in the 'emacs starter kit' called starter-kit-load
> that loads org file section by id or tag, but I'm not sure if there's a
> way to do the opposite and load while excluding id(s) or tag(s) using
> org-babel.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Damon,

Thanks for the kind words!

I guess I don't understand what the problem is here.  Since you have
your own clone of the repository you can create a commit that turns off
this :tangle yes and then subsequent pulls will preserve that change.
I'm not expecting to touch that part of the document again so you
probably won't get conflicts with it in the future.

Why do you want to skip this specific part of the file?  Can't you just
override the variable with your value of org-agenda-files by doing

(setq org-user-agenda-files (quote WHATEVER-IS-APPROPRIATE))

before you load it?

Could you provide more details on what it is you are trying to 'fix'?  I
don't think I understand what it is you are trying to achieve.

Regards,
Bernt