Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS

From: Matthew Landis
Subject: Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:53:48 -0500

On 3/2/2012 12:59 PM, Christophe Pouzat wrote:

Matthew,

I think that you're wrongly expecting babel's cache header argument to
behave like the argument of the same name in Sweave code chunks. Babel
will cache, in your case, the value of your code block evaluation and
there is none in your first code block, therefore nothing gets cached by
babel, try that instead:

#+name: my-random-vector
#+begin_src R :session :cache yes
rnorm(100)
#+end_src

#+headers: :var x=my-random-vector
#+headers: :results graphics :exports results :file hist.png
#+begin_src R :session  :cache yes
hist(x)
#+end_src

Does it work better? In that case you don't even need a session.

Christophe
Christophe - thanks for the suggestion. I haven't messed around much with variables passed between code blocks. When I try this, R tells me that 'x' must be numeric. When I query x in the R buffer, x is a data.frame. So the second code block reads x in as a data.frame instead of a numeric vector.

For most purposes this would be OK (since a data.frame is the most usual outcome), but I'm reluctant to use this approach -- I'd like all of the variable passing to be in the R session. Intuitively this seems simpler, less error prone, and more conducive to tangling later. (Of course, I could be totally wrong - since I haven't really tried that approach).

Matthew Landis, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
ISciences, LLC
61 Main St. Suite 200