Re: [O] Agenda TODO sorting by date

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda TODO sorting by date
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 09:23:25 +0800

At Sat, 3 Mar 2012 08:38:32 -0800,
Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I am definitely not a programmer, and for sure not the one who could guide
> you on writing a sort
> function.  HOWEVER, emacs has a really nice facility for doing so, if you
> decide you want to try
> that.
>
> I had to write a program to alphabetize a lexical list in Chuukese, in an
> arbitrary order other
> than standard english alphabetical order.  I had to have guidance, but it was
> certainly possible,
> even for me.
>
> Just some encouragement, but it's been many years, and i am unable to offer
> more than that.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Sorting.html

Hm, these would sort lines of the buffer after the agenda is created (is there
a hook in org to do so?), but the idea is to tell org how to sort before
putting the stuff in the agenda buffer.

I'm looking for a function that will do this -- given:

** DONE PUSH onFailure arg for waitForBoot <2012-01-31 Tue>

and the regexp "<[^>]+>" -- return <2012-01-31 Tue>.

I can find emacs lisp functions for regexp search within a buffer (nope), but
the point is not to look in a buffer. It's to pass in the source string.

Did several google searches, and couldn't find the magic words (search terms).

Thanks,
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world