[O] org-yank improvement?

From: François Pinard
Subject: [O] org-yank improvement?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 07:47:47 -0500

Hi again, Org people!

I often cut a list item (or a hierarchy of list items) to reinsert it
into another heading which I know contains only list items.  All the
headings are collapsed, so what I usually do is position the cursor at
the beginning of the /next/ heading and yank the list item there, this
has the effect of inserting it at the end of the previous heading, no
need to open it.

However, by mistake, it happens that the cursor is on the only visible
bullet star of the next heading (I'm using clean mode, as probably
everybody does!) instead of really being at the start of the line.  In
this case, yanking is physically done between two stars in the string of
stars (all but the last being hidden) making the outline level, which
breaks the layout of course.  I just undo, reposition the cursor better
with Ctrl-A and retry.

It never really make sense, in my opinion, to yank in the middle of an
invisible string.  Luckily enough, yanking is done through a special
org-yank function, so it is at least theoretically possible to prevent
this.  My suggestion would be that whenever yanking into a start string,
that the yanking really occurs at the beginning of it.

Of course, it is my error.  Yet, Org mode could be friendlier, here!

François