Re: [O] AUCTeX conflicting with org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] AUCTeX conflicting with org-mode
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 17:30:02 -0500

suvayu ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 21:00, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As a workaround-and-proof-of-concept, try
> >
> > (load "tex")
> >
> > before loading org. Assuming that that works, you will probably want
> > to arrange things that this is always done.
> >

> This worked as you hypothesised. :)
>
> > It might also be the case that Carsten's fix needs to be modified to
> > check whether TeX-master is bound already - then it can let-bind it
> > without problems; but I'm not sure what to do if that's not the case.
> >
> > The question I have is what exactly causes tex.el to be loaded at that
> > point in time. If you can figure that out, then that might lead to a
> > more permanent solution.
>
> I am not sure how I can conclusively confirm that, but I think when I
> export to latex, the exported latex buffer loads it. For example, I
> don't see this issue when say I go through these steps:
>
> 1. Open a tex file.
> 2. Open and export an org file to latex.
> 3. Open a new tex file.
>
> In this case step (1) must be loading tex.el, circumventing the issue.

Actually, your backtrace in the original post makes things clearer now.

org-export-as-latex calls find-file-noselect on the .tex file, which
calls after-find-file which runs the find-file-hook.  Somehow the
find-file-hook is set up[fn:1] as in VirTeX-common-initialization to
call TeX-master-file - although your backtrace shows compiled code, it's
pretty clear that that's the setting of the find-file-hook that
VirTeX-common-initialization has done. So it looks as if tex.el is
partially loaded: the initialization is done, the hook is set up but the
defvar has failed, probably because of the let-bind.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  à la Sidney Harris - cf. http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/index.php