Re: [O] suggestion for the manual: mention the "#+BEG IN_SRC org" trick

From: Mirko Vukovic
Subject: Re: [O] suggestion for the manual: mention the "#+BEG IN_SRC org" trick when describing drawers and plainl ists
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:01:36 +0000 (UTC)

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In Org, entry text can't have substructure (other than drawers and plain
lists): you can't have an entry thathas some text, then a subtree, then more
text.I just (re-)discovered that you can get around that by using "#+BEGIN_SRC
org" to include arbitrary org
> subtrees in the middle of entry text.   That's useful not just when writing in
Org about Org, but anytime you wantto insert an extended sidenote in the middle
of an entry.  As with all source blocks, you edit it in its native (Org)
> mode and it exports correctly.  You can copy links from the main Org and past
them into the nested Org.Just wish I'd learned this sooner :)  So, maybe mention
this in the manual in the sections on drawers and plainlists.ilya

Thank you for the pointer.  I am sometimes also frustrated by that feature.

But using BEGIN/END_SRC is really a hack.  I wonder if instead of using SRC
blocks, we could define (with some amount of coding) a more suitable kind of
blocks.  In my case I would like to have a BEGIN/END_TODO block.  This would
permit a layout such as

* header 1
  text, more text, much more text under header

#+begin_todo
** TODO task

** TODO another task
#+end_todo

  still more text under header 1

Maybe the TODO block is to specific.  Maybe a SUBTREE block would be sufficient.
Though, I am not sure if this would conflict with some major undrlying structure
of orgmode.

Mirko