Re: [O] Problem with choosing mode while editing blocks with C-c '

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with choosing mode while editing blocks with C-c '
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:32:18 +0100

Hi Nick,

Apologies on not responding sooner. I was preparing my slides for a
presentation tomorrow.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:34, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thorsten <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I am having problems editing blocks with C-c '. If the blocks are marked
>> > with upper case letters Emacs brings up the temporary buffer in
>> > picture-mode.
>> >
>> >    #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>> >
>> >    #+END_SRC
>> >
>> > However the buffer mode is chosen correctly if lower case letters are
>> > used.
>> >
>> >    #+begin_src latex
>> >
>> >    #+end_src
>> >
>> > Any ideas what could be wrong?
>>
>> There was a discussion of this topic recently, I had and still have my quote
>> source
>> blocks in artists (picture) mode and thought this was strange behaviour.
>
> BTW, artist-mode is *not* the same as picture-mode.

Actually I keep confusing between the two and I'm not sure which I was
seeing. I also forgot to mention I did not see the problem with a
minimal setup. I got frustrated (I had to get the talk done), so I
restarted Emacs and worked with LaTeX directly. Now in my new session I
cannot replicate my issue. However it still breaks in a different way.
Hitting C-c ' prompts me for a filename or a url.

> For the OP (Suvayu): can you do C-h v org-edit-fixed-width-region-mode
> RET and post the result? If the value is picture-mode, then I can
> vaguely glimpse a (rather far-fetched) possible scenario that might get
> you into the problem you describe, but I'd rather try to rule it out
> first.

This variable is set to artist-mode.

I did a binary search through my setup and found the problem occurs when
case-fold-search is set to nil.

You can replicate this with the following contents in an org file and
(setq case-fold-search nil).

----8<-------------------8<----

* Heading
#+BEGIN_SRC latex
%% this is a LaTeX comment
#+END_SRC

#+begin_src latex
%% this is a LaTeX comment
#+end_src

----8<-------------------8<----

C-c ' on the first block shold prompt you for a file or url and the
second block should present a temporary buffer in latex mode.

I have actually seen both these problem (the artist-mode and prompt for
file or url) for quite a while from time to time. But I could never
replicate them consistently. I guess today is my (somewhat) lucky
day. :)

> Nick

Hope this helps paint a clearer picture.

--
Suvayu