Re: [O] question about org2blog and latex

From: Puneeth Chaganti
Subject: Re: [O] question about org2blog and latex
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:21:22 +0530

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Stephen J. Barr <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on blogging using org2blog, allowing me to update my
>> wordpress blog with org-mode. All is working well except latex. I was
>> expecting latex images but instead just get things like:
>>
>> $latex z * k^\theta$
>>

> Not sure what that latex is doing in there. The following works as normal
> HTML for me:

> * foo
> Here's a formula
>

> $\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2} dx = {{\sqrt{\pi}}\over{2}}$
>
> $latex z * k^\theta$
>
> A few things: the default way to export fragments is through MathJax:
> there may be some sort of a setup problem that prevents MathJax from
> working with the blogging stuff.  You might want to fall back to
> png images and see if that works better for you (you'll need dvipng),
> although that's usually seen as a step back.

I'd like to clarify that the initial implementation of org2blog, IIRC,
did make use of the png images and upload them to the blog.  Sometime,
later support was added to support Wordpress's LaTeX plugin. To render
your LaTeX using this, in your wordpress blog, just set the variable
`org2blog/wp-use-wp-latex`.  [Btw, I hope you are indeed talking about
org to wordpress org2blog. There's another one that publishes to
blogspot, with the same name.]

> The preferred way to enter math in latex (and in org) is with \(...\)
> for inline formulas and \[...\] for displayed ones. $...$ will work with
> certain restrictions noted in the org docs (see below) for the inline
> case, $$...$$ does *not* work for the displayed case (it's not even legal
> LaTeX).
>
> C-h v org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments RET has the details.
>
> (info "(org) LaTeX fragments") has more on $...$, mathJax etc.

Also, all of these ways which do work with HTML export should work
with the org2blog.  Also, thanks Nick for the detailed answer. :)

HTH,
Puneeth