Re: [O] Should maint branch be deprecated?

From: Martyn Jago
Subject: Re: [O] Should maint branch be deprecated?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 03:47:41 +0000

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Bastien, Achim

> Hi Martyn,
>
> Martyn Jago <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As an infrequent committer to org-mode, I wonder if the maint branch is
>> more pain than gain.
>
> It is a pain when too many things should happen on it.
>
> IMO It is a gain when we dedicate it to releases only.
>
> No pain should come out of introducing hotfix-* branches,
> as they are transient branches.
>
> Now I'm off to a well-deserved bed :)

I certainly appreciate the need to stabilize releases. But I did get to
wondering lately if the original purpose of maint was kind of lost in
the overall high-throughput repo activity.

I'm a big fan of Git, and have started using it for non-version control
activities, so I appreciate things can always be fine-tuned to suit the
current situation.

Thanks for the considered replies.

Best, Martyn