Re: [O] how to specify table width in HTML export

From: Michael Hannon
Subject: Re: [O] how to specify table width in HTML export
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:16:38 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Nick Dokos <address@hidden>
>
> Stephen J. Barr <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This seems like a simple question but I can't seem to find the answer?
>> How do I specify the table width for an org-table that I will export
>> to HTML?
>>

> Not sure about the real HTMl syntax, or whether this is the best
> solution (I'd imagine CSS would be better *if* it can be done with CSS)
> but the following:
>
> #+ATTR_HTML: width="100"
> | col1 | col2 |
> |------+------|
> |    1 |    3 |
> |      |      |
>
> gets translated into an HTML table with an opening tag like this:

> cellpadding="6" rules="groups" frame="hsides"
> width="100">
>
> Does that do the trick?

Indeed, I think CSS would be a better approach.  And of course I don't know
what this particular application is, but it's usually better to specify the
width of objects as a percentage of the overall width.

This is discussed, for instance, at:

    http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_table.asp

Here's a line from one of my old .org files that shows the syntax:

    #+STYLE:    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./junk.css" />

It's also possible to embed the styling information directly in the Org-mode
file, but I find that to be less convenient, as you then have to re-export to
make a change to the style.

Caveat: I haven't done any HTML exporting to speak of lately, certainly none
that has involved CSS, so it may be that the syntax has changed (i.e.,
compared to the above STYLE directive).

-- Mike